Monday, May 31, 2010

Making The Connection




Memorial Day Weekend was busier than I expected it to be, with everyone leaving town for camping trips or the coast. It rained on Friday and was partly cloudy on Saturday, so maybe it impeded the exodus. Friday night about Midnight, I picked up a drunk woman at Westside Station, who’s fare came to a little over $7.00, when I got her home. After fishing in her purse for what seemed like an eternity, she finally pulled out 2 - $1.00 bills and a $5.00. She had a panicked expression on her face as she told me “I don’t know what happened to the rest of it, my brother had my purse for a while, and he just got out of prison.”

“Why are you telling me this?” I asked her, as she handed me the cash. She didn’t say anything, but when I counted it I saw that the $5.00 was torn in half, and I only had the left half. “Where’s the rest of it?” I asked. She broke down and began to cry, so I told her that it was alright, and not to worry about it. On Saturday night I came downtown, and parked at Greyhound, there were already 2 other cabs in the first two taxi stalls, with the drivers standing outside talking.

When I walked over I could see that it was #44, and #52. Number 44 looked up, when I approached them and said, “I was just telling #52 that in this business the customer is always right, even if they’re dead wrong and you can prove it. If you don’t follow that rule you won’t get a tip, and they might even call and complain about you being rude and obnoxious.

Number 52 was listening, while he was thinking about the meeting that he just had with the other 11 NUC agents on Earth. Enough data had been collected to determine the status of Earth. It qualified to be allowed entrance into phase 2, rather than annihilation. Phase 2 could occur normally, in the evolution of a planet, or it could be prompted by an outside force, which is what NUC agents were. In this case the beginning of phase 2 would occur after human minds were completed, by making the ultimate connection within the synapses, initiating perfection, also known as teleo.

I told them about the woman with half a $5.00 bill on Friday night, and #44 told us about a load of drunks that he picked up at the “Lone Oak,” who went across the street to the parking lot at the Fairground, where they were staying in a trailer, for a whopping $3.70, after the drunkest guy started complaining about how fast the meter was clicking. This prompted me to tell them about the guy that I picked up at the park and ride, who just got in town after a cross country tour, that he spent a couple of thousand dollars on. He had 3 heavy suitcases, that I loaded and unloaded in the van. Then when we got to his apartment, just down the street for $4.90, he demanded that I give him his dime change. Number 52 said that he drove Ronnie to church, where he was attending a healing service, and hoped to finally become normal.

“Good luck,” #44 said, “the day that he’s normal is the day that I become a millionaire.

We all got calls and I ended up in the middle of the police busting a fight up at the South Liberty Bar & Grill. My passengers wanted to get out of there as fast as possible, before the police started detaining people. They were going to 2 different addresses, but they both gave me a tip.

Number 52 picked up Ronnie, at church around 8:30 PM, after the service was over. Ronnie was despondent, since he was still crippled with cerebral palsy and confined to his wheelchair. After Trevor helped him get in the front seat of the cab, with difficulty, he collapsed his wheelchair and put it in the trunk. On the drive over, Trevor saw inside Ronnie’s mind and it became teleo.

When they arrived at Ronnie’s house, where he lived with his parents, he paid Trevor the $9.60 fare and let him keep the change from the $10.00 bill that he gave him, as he opened the door and got out. After Ronnie went into the house, Trevor took his wheelchair out of the trunk, and wheeled it up to the front door.

Suddenly Ronnie came bursting out of the front door praising God, and declaring that the faith healing evangelist said that sometimes healings took place over a period of time. He ran and jumped off the porch as he excitedly shouted, “I’m healed.” Trevor smiled as he got in his cab and drove off.

The rest of the night was wasn’t really busy, but it was steady, as I picked up people without sitting idle more than a few minutes at a time. When I got back to the office and did my paper work, I saw half a $5.00 bill tacked to the bulletin board. It was the right half of the left half that I got earlier in the night. When I asked Dotty where it came from, she told me that #37 put it up there after one of his passengers gave it to him. I took it off the board, and taped it with my half and put $2.50 in an envelope that I gave to Dotty with #37’s number on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment